The Muscogee County School District has set the window for the school year 2022-2023 Hardship and Open Seat Transfer requests in accordance with Georgia House Bill 251 (HB 251). Applications will be available online, at 12:00 a.m., Tuesday, May 10, 2022 – May 24, 2022. Application submissions will close at 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, May 24, 2022; late submissions will not be considered for selection. Exceptions to the deadline include parents or legal guardians of students who are new
to the district. Approvals and/or denial statuses will be sent by email to the parent and/or legal guardian by June 30, 2022. *Note: An Online Registration application for the 2022-2023 school year MUST be completed in order to be considered for a Hardship or Open-Seat Transfer.
Parents and/or legal guardians should note the following information if preparing to apply for Open Seat Transfers in accordance with HB 251.
Please note, the following schools are not available for Open Seat Transfers due to seat availability:
- HB 251 allows parents or guardians of students enrolled in a public elementary or secondary school in Georgia to elect to enroll their student in a public school that is located within the school district in which the student resides, other than the one in which the student has been assigned if such school has permanent classroom space available after its assigned students have been enrolled.
- The parent/guardian shall assume the responsibility and cost of transportation of the student to and from the school.
- If the student receives Special Education services, the school being applied to must already have the Special Education services in place, as required by the student's current Individual Education Plan (IEP) or the transfer request will be denied.
- Students eligible for transfer under the unsafe school choice option will receive first priority for any available seats.
- If the number of requests exceeds the number of spaces available at a school, the requests will be selected via a lottery. There will be no appeals.
- The parent and/or legal guardian will have 14 days from the receipt of approval to confirm enrollment. Failure to confirm enrollment by the deadline will forfeit the transfer approval.
- Any change of school placement which is not the result of a bona fide change of residence, such as transfers under HB 251, may impact a student's eligibility to participate in Georgia High School Association (GHSA) sanctioned varsity activities and events for a period of one calendar year. The parent and/or legal guardian is responsible for investigating and determining the impact of such a transfer.
- There will be no sibling priority with the exception of a student with simultaneous multiple births (e.g. twins, triplets, etc.) who is selected for a seat. Siblings of that exception will be drawn at the same time during the lottery with the other sibling(s) of that set receiving placement if a seat is available.
- Britt David Elementary
- Columbus High School
- Rainey-McCullers Magnet
- Downtown Elementary
- Northside High School
- Clubview Elementary
- Eagle Ridge Elementary
- Mathews Elementary
- North Columbus Elementary
- Veterans Memorial Middle
Please click on the following link to complete your Hardship or Open-Seat Transfer application: https://apps.muscogee.k12.ga.us/transfers
The Muscogee County School District maintains attendance zones for school assignments. Parents are encouraged to register students at the school of assignment based on their legal residence. For more information related to transfer requests or assignments, parents and guardians should contact the zoned school of assignment or Central Registration at email@example.com