• By Director of Communications, Valerie L. Fuller
  • Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Fort Benning Transfer (FBT) Applications Available July 1


Muscogee County School District

2960 Macon Road Columbus, GA 31906

For Immediate Release

(Columbus, GA)-Effective July 1, 2017, school-age children of military service members, who live on Fort Benning, are allowed to attend any public school located within the Muscogee County School District if space is available for additional enrollment under House Bill (HB) 224.Transportation is not provided. The parent or legal guardian is responsible for transportation of the student(s) to and from school.

Five schools are not eligible for FBT requests:

1) Britt David Magnet Academy 4) Columbus High School
2) Clubview Elementary School 5) Rainey-McCullers School of the Arts
3) Dorothy Height Elementary School

Parents may complete an application for a Fort Benning Transfer (FBT) request, which is considered on a case-by-case basis. Determinations about FBT are based on space available at the requested school. Applications are available at the Muscogee County Public Education Center in the Central Registration Office, which is located at 2960 Macon Road, Columbus, Georgia, 31906.The application must be completed at the time of registration and submitted to the Central Registration Office staff.

FBT requests are assigned through a lottery process. Parents or legal guardians who apply for a FBT request are notified by phone or e-mail whether approved or denied. FBT requests are automatically denied when there are no available seats at the requested school due to class size restrictions. There are no appeals for FBT decisions.

A list of required registration documents are listed below.

-The child’s birth certificate
-Child’s social security card
-Withdrawal form from previous school or last report card during June and July
-Two (2) Proofs of address (a lease, a mortgage, or property tax and a current utility bill, which states the name and service address

If the parent or legal guardian lives with someone, the owner of the residence must come with the legal parent or guardian and provide the required proofs of address and photo identification.Both parties are required to complete an affidavit, which must be signed and notarized at the time of registration.

If the child has special needs, parents and legal guardians should provide the Individual Education Plan (IEP), eligibility verification, and psychological evaluation report.

Parents or guardians who have questions or need more information, may contact the Central Registration Office (706) 748-3217. Media representatives should contact communications@muscogee.k12.ga.us .