East Columbus Magnet Academy
Grades 6th - 8th District 4 511 Students6100 Georgetown Drive, Columbus, GA 31907
Phone 706-565-3026, Fax 706-565-3031
School Website: http://sites.muscogee.k12.ga.us/ecma/
- Parents Right to Know.pdf
- East Columbus Magnet Academy Report Card
- East Columbus SIP.pdf
- East Columbus SIP Summary.pdf
- East Columbus SIP Presentation.pdf
- 19-20 East Columbus Parent and Family Engagement Policy
- 19-20 East Columbus School Parent Compact
Affectionately known as "EC" , East Columbus Magnet Academy (ECMA) opened its doors in the Fall of 2000 and has served the East Columbus community for over 16 years.
ECMA is identified as a magnet school for the middle school gifted and talented program. The magnet program functions as a school within a school, in which all magnet students are clustered into individual classes. Residential students are also served at each grade level. ECMA has been a School-Wide Title I School since 2002. In the fall of 2010, East Columbus became a Title 1 Distinguished School for making AYP for three consecutive years (2007-2008, 2008-2009, and 2009-2010). The school offers the state curriculum plus gifted and special education services, advanced mathematics and science, high school Spanish, and fine arts.
ECMA utilizes technology consistently by giving our knights access to 4 full size computer labs, 3 mobile computer carts, 1 IPod cart, 60 tablets, 2 Smart tables and a Smartboard in every classroom.
ECMA also offers coding classes with 3 coding languages taught. Since Kodak is our Partner in Education, a Kodak Engineer volunteers monthly with the coding classes to mentor students. The new Makerspace in the ECMA Media Center focuses on exploration and creativity including stations for:
- Coding with Robots (Ozobots and Spheros)
- Circuit Kits
- Makey Makey Kits
- Little Bits
- Origami Books and Supplies
- Drawing Books and Supplies
- Legos with Challenge Cards
- A Mobile Creation Station (art supplies, tools, etc)
- Laptops and Tablets for Coding, Digital Storytelling, and Games like Minecraft
- Computer Take-Apart/Put Together Station
2016 Boys Basketball City Champs
2015 Boys Football Runner Up
2015 Girls Track City Runner-Up
- Compact Math 6/7
- Compact Math 7/8
- GSE Algebra
- HS Physical Science
- HS Spanish, Orchestra (Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced)
- Band (Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced)
- Chorus (Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced)
- Advanced/Gifted Courses Math, ELA, Soc Studies and Science (6th – 8th)
- Junior Leadership Corps Program (Pre-ROTC program)
- Business Education I (Microsoft Office Suite)
- Business Education II (Coding and Robotics)Art, Physical Education
- 2015 Regional Georgia Movie Academy 1st place for Best Picture
- 2014 State Regional Movie Academy 1st Place for Best Picture
- 2014 Regional Georgia Movie Academy 1st place for Best Picture
Partners In Education
East Columbus partners with the Eastman Kodak Company. The Kodak Co is a major supporter of our STEM program, our coding class, and provides technical assistance with science fair projects.
Battalion 2-19IN, 198th IN Brigade at Ft. Benning, GA is also our partner. Soldiers provide leadership training and mentoring activities to students, as well as assistance with Physical Education at ECMA.
Ihop on Airport Thruway is our newest Partner in Education, focusing on supporting our Literacy Plan to provide incentives to students for reading.