IN MOST CASES, YOU MAY COMPLETE THE REGISTRATION/CHANGE OF ADDRESS
PROCESS AT YOUR CHILD’S SCHOOL OF ASSIGNMENT
REGISTRATION IS ONLY NECESSARY AT THE PUBLIC EDUCATION CENTER IF:
- You are someone other than the child’s parent or legal guardian & you have guardianship paperwork.
- Your child is entering from a home school environment.
- Your child is entering from an out of county alternative school or any youth detention center.
- You are a non-resident living outside Muscogee County.
- Your child needs ESOL or Special Education Services AND you are new to Muscogee County.
- You are in a homeless situation.
- You are living with someone & not at your own residence
(If you already have an affidavit of residence, you may visit the school of assignment to renew…
see renewal information below)
New to Muscogee County School District (MCSD)
Current MCSD Students Who Have Moved
Parents/legal guardians may register their children at the school of assignment designated by their residential address. To determine the school of assignment, click on the MapNetWEB School Locator tab above.
DOCUMENTS NEEDED TO REGISTER/CHANGE AN ADDRESS
- I. TWO (2) PROOFS OF ADDRESS
Board Policy JBC - Proof of residence is required when a student initially enrolls in a Muscogee County school, whenever a change of residence occurs, or any time proof of residency is requested by authorized school district personnel.
1st Proof – One of the following documents (must be current & indicate “service address” & parent name):
- Current utility bill, home phone bill (no cell phone bills & no “FINAL bills”)
- Proof of government benefits (Medicare, food stamps, Department of Families and Children (DFACS) correspondence)
- Occupancy permit if moving into a newly constructed home
2nd Proof - One of the following documents (must be valid & indicate address & parent name):
- A residential lease or rental agreement
- A current property tax statement, property deed, or settlement statement for the home
If you live in Public Housing the first page that includes all household members and the signature page is all we need or any official correspondence from the Housing Authority post marked within the last 60 days.
NEW STUDENTS TO MCSD MUST ALSO HAVE:
- II. A WITHDRAWAL FORM FROM PREVIOUS SCHOOL or MOST RECENT REPORT CARD (summer months)
- III. PROOF OF STUDENT’S AGE & LEGAL NAME (one of the following documents in this order):
- A certified copy of a birth certificate, certified hospital issued birth record or birth certificate
- A military ID
- A valid driver’s license
- A passport
- An adoption record
- A religious record signed by an authorized religious official
- An official school transcript
- IV. STUDENT’S SOCIAL SECURITY CARD or WAIVER FORM
- V. ALSO REQUIRED FOR SCHOOL ATTENDANCE (school may grant deadline waiver in certain circumstances):
- GEORGIA CERTIFICATE OF IMMUNIZATION (GA Form 3231)
- GEORGIA EYE, EAR & DENTAL EXAMINATION FORM (GA Form 3300)
Any person who is not the parent/legal guardian of the child must report to Central Registration for approval by the Director of Student Services before enrollment into school.
ENTERING KINDERGARTEN AND FIRST GRADE
According to Georgia law, children must be five years of age on or before September 1 to attend kindergarten and six years of age on or before September 1 to attend first grade. Exception - Children Who Meet All Three of These Requirements:
- Were legal residents in another state(s) for a period of two years immediately prior to moving to Georgia
- Were legally enrolled in a public kindergarten or first grade
- Will attain the age of five for kindergarten or six for first grade by December 31
NEW AFFIDAVIT OF RESIDENCY
(parent & children recently moved in with someone)
- Must be notarized at the Muscogee County Central Registration Office
- Both the Parent & Owner/Tenant must be present & need picture ID’s
- Owner/Tenant must provide two (2) proofs of address
RENEWING AN AFFIDAVIT OF RESIDENCY
Parents with an Affidavit of Residency who still live in the same location with the same individual/family, DO NOT NEED TO COMPLETE ANOTHER AFFIDAVIT OF RESIDENCY.
These parents only need to bring the following two (2) documents to the school to reaffirm their previous affidavit:
- The homeowner/resident’s current utility bill showing the service address
- Proof that the parent receives official mail at that address, i.e. bank statement, insurance bill, mail from your employer. If the parent does not receive ANY official mail at the address, they should provide a signed & currently dated letter from the tenant/owner stating that the parent/students still live with them.
The homeowner/resident does not have to come with the parent to renew the affidavit, the parent does not have to come to Central Registration, the reaffirmation that they are still living at the same address with the same person/family can be handled at the assigned school.
INFORMATION NEEDED FOR A NEW STUDENT TO MCSD WITH A DISABILITY/IEP
We will request the documents below from the previous district if you do not have a copy but it will delay the assignment process. You may need to be called back once the paperwork arrives.
- Copy of current IEP
- Copy of current Eligibility Form
- Any other Special Education paperwork