Students with Disabilities
Dr. Cincrystal Poythress
Executive Director, Program for Exceptional Students
Director of Operations and Supports Program for Exceptional Students
Central Region Program Manager
Central Lead LEA Facilitator
Dr. Sharen Kelly
East Region Program Manager
East Region Lead LEA Facilitator
West Region Program Manager
West Region Lead LEA Facilitator
Specialized Adaptive Program Manager
Autism Supports Program Manager Lead Autism Board Certified Behavior Analyst
Behavior Supports Program Manager
Lead BCBA Behavior Supports Program
Transition Program Manager
The mission of the Program for Exceptional Students and Psychological Services is to provide a quality educational program that prepares all students for success. We believe that through meaningful access to a quality education, all children can be challenged to achieve their best in school, and all children can be lifelong learners.
At MCSD, students with disabilities are provided a free, appropriate education in schools where placement and service decisions are made based on the individual needs of the student, in the least restrictive environment and in accordance with the guiding principles of the applicable laws.
Documents and Resources
Special Education Services and Supports Georgia Department of Education
Parent Survey Georgia Department of Education
Special Needs Scholarship Georgia Department of Education
Special Education Rules Georgia Department of Education
Implementation Manual Georgia Department of Education
Special Education Dispute Processes Georgia Department of Education
Understanding Parent Rights Georgia Department of Education
Parent to Parent of Georgia
Babies Can't Wait Georgia
Georgia Advocacy Office
- How I get help for a child who may have a disability?
- Who should I contact to get help for a child who is not enrolled in school and I believe may have special needs?
- How does Muscogee County work with Students with Disabilities enrolled by Parents in Private Schools?
- What are my rights under the Individuals with Disabilities Act?
- What is the Evaluation Process?
- What is an Initial Evaluation?
- What is a redetermination?
- What is an Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE)?
- What are special education eligibilities?
- What is an Individualized Education Program (IEP)?
- Who is required to participate in the IEP Team Meeting?
- What does it mean to excuse an IEP Team meber?
- When can the district hold a meeting without a parent?
- What is Assistive Technology (AT)?
- What is Extended School Year (ESY)?
- When does a parent consent for services?
- How can I revoke service consent?
- What are Parent Mentors?
- Who are the MCSD Parent Mentors and how do I contact them?
- How do I request records for my child?
- How does discipline work for a student with a disability?
- What is a manifestation determination?
- What is a Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA) and Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP)?
- What are the medication rules for students with disabilities?
- What is a change of placement?
- What is Seclusion and Restraint?