Title I Part D - Neglected and Delinquent (N&D) Children
The purpose of Title I, Part D is:
- To improve educational services for N&D children and youth in local and state institutions so that such children and youth have the opportunity to meet the same challenging state academic content and achievement standards that all children in the state are expected to meet;
- To provide such children and youth with the services needed to make a successful transition from institutionalization to further schooling or employment; and
- To prevent at-risk youth from dropping out of school and to provide dropouts, and children and youth returning from correctional facilities or institutions for N&D children and youth, with a support system to ensure their continued education.
Local school systems and state agencies in Georgia (the Department of Juvenile Justice, the Department of Corrections and the Department of Human Resources) serve N&D youth in institutions operated or contracted by these agencies. The Georgia Department of Education provides resources to school systems and state agencies to carry out the purposes of Title I, Part D based upon the submission of a required plan and application.
In cases where the students reside in an N&D residential facility, a representative from that facility can serve as a proxy for the parent(s).
Students that reside in N&D facilities are eligible for Title I support.
Support for N&D students includes:
Tutoring: Tutoring generally occurs 2-4 times a week at the N&D facility. Tutoring will include homework assistance, as well as previewing and reviewing instructional lessons taught during the school day. This tutoring should directly support what the student is learning daily.
Academic materials and supplies.
These facilities and their student enrollments constantly change as students leave or are enrolled at the facilities.
The following facilities receive Title 1 services:
- Boyz 2 Men
- Guardian of Hope
- Kenneth B. Walker Residential Home 1
- Kenneth B. Walker Residential Home 2
- Kenneth B. Walker Residential Home 3
- Kenneth B. Walker Residential Home 4
- Kenneth B. Walker Residential Home 5
- Mentoring Youth Services
- Safe Haven 4U
- Twin Cedars-Anne Elizabeth Shepherd Home for Girls
- Twin Cedars-Reality House
- Whale of Hope
Documents and Resources
Title I Part D Neglected and Delinquent Non-Regulatory Guidance
Shawn Fisher Program Specialist - Homeless, Migrant, Neglected & Delinquent Education