Student Health Services - Information

Student Services

General Information

Student Health Services is a significant component in the educational process. Healthy students learn better! Our district recognizes the importance of the health and safety of the students and staff.

The program is currently staffed by one Lead Nurse and nine Registered Nurses, who each serve a cluster of schools to assist in managing the health care and medical needs that affect students’ ability to be successful in school. There are three LPNs that are school based and 54 part time clinic workers. The clinic workers are located at each school and are there for half of the day.

Their focus is on health services, staff training, health education, and safe school environment.

  • The RN team is committed to assist in the removal of barriers to learning that may be health related. They provide:
    • Clinic worker and staff training on all medical issues.
    • Consultation and care management for children with chronic illness or who are medically fragile in order to support all children in the educational process.
    • Monitoring of immunization status and work closely with the Health Department to identify and prevent communicable illness issues in our student population.
    • For additional information, please reference the FAQ section.

Chronic Illness/Health Condition:

If your child has a Chronic Illness/condition that requires medical attention or could become an emergency, please complete the health portion on the registration form/ clinic card and contact the school immediately. We must know how to provide the best care possible for your child and be able to reach you at all times. Our Health Care Plans are listed in the Documents area and need to be completed and turned into the clinic as soon as possible. If your child requires a procedure to be performed at school we will need a doctor's order for that procedure. It is our goal to keep all students safe and healthy during the school day.


Please read the Medication Policy JGCD for detailed information regarding medication during the school day.

  • If possible medication should be given at home, however if it is necessary for your child to receive medication at school, certain guidelines must be met.
  • The medication must be in the original container and labeled with the child's name, Physician's name, name of medication, and the dosage instructions for the child.
  • There must be a Medication Administration Permission Form signed for each medication, even over the counter medication. This form is listed in the Documents area or can be obtained at your child's school.
  • Parents are responsible for bringing medication to school and turning it in to the clinic or office staff.
  • Emergency medication, such as a rescue inhaler, auto inject-able epinephrine, and insulin, can be carried on the student's person with physician's permission and completed paperwork. The appropriate form is located in the documents section. CONTACT your child's school if this applies to your child's health situation.

Communicable Conditions:

It may be necessary to exclude your child for symptoms consistent with a communicable condition, elevated temperature, vomiting or diarrhea. We understand that this may be an inconvenience, however, this is necessary to keep your child healthy and protect the health of the other students.

Immunizations and Screening:

All students entering or attending Pre-Kindergarten through 12th grades are required to have a valid Georgia Certificate of Immunization Form 3231, issued by a licensed Georgia physician, or qualified employee of the local Health Department or the State Immunization Office. The students must have been immunized against those diseases as so specified by the Georgia Department of Human Resources. Parents/guardians are responsible for seeing that their children are properly immunized in accordance with Georgia law. For further immunization information, visit the Georgia Department of Human Resources website at

Georgia's immunization requirements for children attending seventh grade have been revised to align with the current Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). Effective July 1, 2014, all children born on or after January 1, 2002 who are attending seventh grade, and children who are new entrants into a Georgia school in grades eight through twelve, must have received one dose of Tdap vaccine and one dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine.

The only exemption for any vaccine is Medical Exemption or Religious Objection. The Medical Exemption must be renewed yearly and signed by a physician. The Religious Objection must be documented, by parent or guardian, on “The Religious Objections to Required Immunizations Form 2208. This form is located in the resources area or it may be obtained at your child’s school. The form must be notarized and does not have to be renewed.

Each new student is also required to have a Georgia Form 3300 Eye Ear Dental and Nutritional Screening form upon entry Pre- K - 12. This testing can be done by your health care provider or the Columbus Health Department.

For additional information on school entry requirements, please visit the Georgia Department of Public Health website there is a link listed under the resources tab.

Remember, we are here to support your child's health! Please contact your child's school and speak to the clinic worker or another staff member about your child's health needs. The person you speak with can get you in touch with the Itinerant RN, if needed. A list is also provided in the resources section.

Hospital/Homebound Services:

Hospital/Homebound (HHB) services are designed to provide continuity of educational services between the classroom and home or hospital for students in Georgia public schools whose medical needs, either physical or psychiatric, do not allow them to attend school for a limited period of time.

HHB services are not intended to supplant regular school services and are by design temporary. The student must anticipate being absent from school for a minimum of ten consecutive or three intermittent school days due to a medical or psychiatric condition. The student's inability to attend school for medical or psychiatric reasons must be certified by the licensed physician. Physician's Assistants and Nurse Practitioners may sign forms if delegated to do so. Psychiatric patients are to be only completed by a psychiatrist not a designee.

Documents and Resources

Asthma Care Plan
Authorization for Student to Carry Prescription Medication
CDC Cover Your Cough
CDC Flu Guide for Parents
CHOA - Too Sick for School
Concussion Care Plan
Diabetes Care Plan
Head Lice Information
Head Lice Pamphlet
Immunization Information 7th grade Entry English
Immunization Information 7th grade Entry Spanish
Immunization Information Kindergarten
Immunization Information Pre-K
Immunization Summary Chart
Medication Administration Permission Form
Parent Letter
Post Operative Care Plan
Religious Objection to Immunization English
Religious Objection to Immunization Spanish
RN School Assignment by Region 2017-18
Seizure Disorder Care Plan
Severe Allergic Reaction Care Plan
Sickle Cell Care Plan
Simply Better Kids Newsletter - August 2017
Simply Better Kids Newsletter - September 2017
Simply Better Kids Newsletter - October 2017
Simply Better Kids Newsletter - November 2017
Simply Better Kids Newsletter - December 2017
Student Specific Health Care Plan
American Academy of Allergy, and Immunology
American Academy of Pediatrics
Center for Disease Control
Center for Disease Control Information on Meningococcal Disease
Center for Disease Control Meningococcal Vaccines for Preteens and Teens
Center for Disease Control Tdap Vaccine for Preteens and Teens
Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
Department of Public Health Georgia
Epilepsy Foundation
FARE (Food Allergy Research Education)
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
Kids Health
Sickle Cell Foundation of Georgia

Chronic Illness Frequently Asked Questions

What type of illness is considered a chronic health condition/illness?

Conditions such as Anaphylaxis (Severe Allergic Reaction), Asthma, Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD/ADHD), Cerebral Palsy, Cystic Fibrosis, Diabetes (Type 1 or 2), Eczema, Seizure Disorder, Sickle Cell, etc. Any condition that does or could need medical management during the school day, as these conditions can become an emergency situation very quickly.

What can I do, as a parent, to help keep my child safe at school?

Provide the school clinic worker, RN and other designated school personnel with accurate medical information about your child's health condition and any treatment needed.

  • Provide all needed medication or medical supplies needed for the management of your child's health condition.
  • Notify school personnel any changes regarding his/her care and ensure the school has good contact information for you so you can be reached in the event of an emergency.
  • Please complete all portions of the health information section of the registration form and notify the school prior to school starting so that we can be prepared and, with your assistance, provide needed staff training.
  • Provide all necessary care plans and Physician's Orders for any procedures and special treatments required throughout the school day.

What do I do if my child is hospitalized?

Please notify the school as soon as possible if your child is hospitalized. Upon discharge, we will assist with any necessary planning for a successful return to school. If a referral to Hospital Homebound services is needed, we will be glad to assist.

Medication Administration Frequently Asked Questions

Can my child take morning medications at school?

If medications can be given at home, prior to school, please do so. Giving morning medications at home allows adequate time for the medication to become active in the student's system allowing for a more successful day at school.

  • If your child takes ADD/ADHD medication in the morning, this medication can be given with a small amount of food at home (i.e. crackers), and the student can still eat breakfast at school.
  • If your child takes medication twice a day, the morning dose should be given at home. The second dose should also be given at home, unless ordered at noon/lunch. Lunchtime medications can be given at school.
  • For specific questions regarding your child's medication times, please contact your child's School Itinerant RN.

Can my child take over-the-counter medications at school?

Yes, with signed authorization and medication provided from home, your child can take over-the-counter medications at school. Medication dosage must be age appropriate. Products that contain Aspirin can cause a condition known as Reyes Syndrome in children. Please do not send products that contain Aspirin.

What if my child needs special equipment?

Parents/guardians must provide all medications and special equipment required.

Communicable Illness Frequently Asked Questions

What can cause my child to be excluded from school?

A number of illnesses can cause your child to be excluded from school. This is necessary in order to protect your child's health, as well as the health and safety of other students. Some conditions may require a physician's examination and medical clearance in order to return to school.
Examples include:

  • Symptoms consistent with Conjunctivitis
  • Elevated temperature, over 100.4 degrees
  • Students excluded due to elevated temperature cannot return to school until fever free for 24 hours, without fever reducing medications.
  • Rash of unknown origin
  • Head lice and/or nits
  • Symptoms consistent with Gastroenteritis (i.e. diarrhea, vomiting)

Immunizations Frequently Asked Questions

Does my child have to be immunized to attend school?

Each new student entering Georgia for the first time, PreK - 12, must meet the Georgia Requirements for Immunization and provide a Georgia Form 3231. It is the responsibility of the parent to obtain the required immunizations as indicated.
If you are already a Georgia student there is a new requirement for 7th grade entry (Meningococcal Conjugate Vaccine and Tdap vaccine).
The only exemption for any vaccine is Religious Objection or Medical Exemption from a physician.

  • • Parents who object based on their religious beliefs may sign the Religious Objection Form (2208) and have it notarized. It is located under the Resources Tab or can be obtained at your child's school.
Each new student is also required to have a Georgia Form 3300 Eye Ear Dental and Nutritional Screening Form upon entry Pre- K - 12. This testing can be done by your health care provider or the Columbus Health Department.

If we are new to the school district, what happens if my child does not have all immunizations on the first day of school?

Children without completed immunizations will be given a 30 day waiver, which allows them to attend school while obtaining the required immunizations. Children in this process will be given a form 3231, with an expiration date. It is the parent/guardian responsibility to complete the immunization process.

If we are new to the school district, what happens if my child does not have an Eye/Ear/Dental/Nutrition assessment on the first day of school?

If you move into the school district from out of state, you will be given a waiver for up to 90 days to complete the necessary Eye/Ear/Dental/Nutrition exam (form 3300). This should be completed as soon as possible, as vision and hearing can impact your child's academic performance. This exam can be completed by your child's private physician or by the Health Department.

Hospital/Homebound Frequently Asked Questions

How do parents request HHB services?

You may request form from the school or district office. The form is first completed at the school level and signed by the principal/designee and then completed by the health agency with appropriate signatures and diagnosis. All forms will come to the Muscogee County Public Education Center to the office of Student Services located at 2960 Macon Road on the first floor for review.

Who provides HHB instruction?

Instruction is provided by a Georgia certified teacher.

When students are hospitalized in out-of-state health care or psychiatric facilities, are services provided?

Yes. It is our obligation to provide services even if the student is hospitalized out-of-state as long as they are a registered student of Muscogee County School District.

Contact Information

* For a list of the 9 Itinerant RN's contact information and the schools they serve visit the Resources page.

Darlene Shirley RN Lead Nurse


Marcus L. DuBose Director of Student Services


Jackie Mosley Secretary